Friday 6 August 2010

The Rain, the Lawnmower Museum and the best campervan in the world

Greeting from Scotland!

And so, here we are, in amazing, consuming, beautiful, WET, whirlwind Edinburgh. I am already resigned to the fact that my wellies will now be my permanent shoes, that none of my summer dresses will make it out of my suitcase, and that getting trenchfoot is a very real possibility.

I am already 6 shows in, which feels crazy, as the festival only really started today. I am loving every minute of it. It is such a a treat to be doing what I love every day. Twice.

We have bought a cover for Joni as she is parked in such a prominent part of the Pleasance Courtyard. Tom and I have found it very difficult to sit having a post show cider, watching people leaning on her in a casual manner. I have branded these people 'VTs' - Van Touchers. I feel like getting myself a tuxedo and dark glasses, wrestling the VTs to the ground with the vicious cry of DON'T TOUCH MY VAAAAAAAAN..

But I won't.

Not now we've got the cover.

I am writing a column for Three Weeks newspaper, called 'Last Week in the Van' where I list 10 things that have happened in Joni so far. I'm not going to give it away, but am going to give you a current highlight.

Today, in my show I had a lovely couple called Brian and Sue, who turn out to be the owners of the Lawnmover Museum in Southport. I didn't know that such a place existed, but they proved it to me by giving me a leaflet. Their tag line is 'When the Growing Gets Tough, the Tough Get Mowing.'

This made me love them even more

1 comment: