Sunday 6 June 2010

Work in Progress, Matchstick Deterrents and a Beautiful Blue Bike

And so, you may have noticed that I haven't blogged for a while. WHY WHY? I hear you ask. Calm down, I will tell you.

Well, it's because I have been making my first solo show- it's called 'Running on Air' and it's being premiered at the Edinburgh Fringe in August.

I am very excited about it. So very excited. It's being performed to 5 people at once, who will be joining me in Joni, the most beautiful yellow camper van. I think she is excited too, although it is harder to tell.

Tom and I are making the show together, which is very lovely. And so, we spent 6 days in a windowless basement and emerged, blinking, like little moles from a burrow, with an idea of the show and how it works. It was the most wonderful of weeks.

During the week, in the brief, fleeting time we spent at home, we managed to get the vegetables into the garden. No longer will our bathroom be filled with containers full of soil. We set them free into the wilds of the garden, like taking our children to primary school for the first time.

Hopefully when we do take our children to primary school for the first time, we won't have to worry about cats defecating on them. Which is where the similarity ends.

Poor Juniper. Just as she's learned that we don't want her to use the lounge carpet as a toilet, we start being fussy about where she goes in the garden. Instead of

a) sitting in the garden all day and all night to stop her from going or
b) hiring someone to do this for us

we decided to adorn the garden with matchsticks. I honestly have no idea if this will work but it makes me feel better. Who wants to go to the toilet on something that has sharp sticks pointing out of it? Not me.

In other news, I bought my first bike as a grown up. I'd had enough of watching Tom sail off into the distance, pedalling like a smug, happy free spirit whilst I waited for the 343 for about an hour, getting more and more cross.

And so I bought Hercules. He is a blue 1960s pushbike and I love him. He is just shiny enough to be beautiful, and just battered enough to deter thieves. I am so very excited about spending the summer whistling my way down country lanes, feeling like I'm in a French film and laughing at people who are still waiting for the 343. Ah Ha ha ha ha...fools..

And as soon as I pluck up enough courage to actually go out on the bike, I'm sure this will all be very pleasant indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment